One of the most important decisions you will make for your wedding day is choosing the right celebrant. But in order to perform marriages legally in New Zealand, they must be appointed as an independent marriage celebrant pursuant to section 11 of the Marriage Act 1955 and be registered with the Department of Internal Affairs. Celebrants undergo a stringent selection process and must maintain registration annually.
Your ideal celebrant will be able to create the dream wedding you have always wanted.
As soon as you meet them you will know if they are compatible with you if you feel comfortable and at ease. Remember, this is the person that will be there for you when you are standing in front of your partner and your guests.
Most celebrants will offer a no-obligation meeting which will provide the “gut’ feeling required to ensure you choose the celebrant that is right for you.
Things to consider choosing your celebrant.
- How do they appear on the first contact? Are they pleasant, positive, and genuinely interested?
- Good celebrants are also great listeners and should establish what ideas you have for your ceremony before contributing their own suggestions.
- Do they provide a suggested ceremony outline? A basic order of service can provide the framework and the prompt for ideas for your ceremony.
- Do they explain the legal requirements of a wedding ceremony?
- Will they work with you to put together your ceremony and are they prepared to spend as much time as it takes to ensure you are completely happy with it?
- Do they offer to provide you with resources? These may include sample ceremonies, readings, vows and ring exchange wordings.
- Is the celebrant willing to conduct a pre-wedding rehearsal at your venue to go over the organisational aspects of your ceremony with key members of your wedding party?
- Is he or she is well-presented and willing to dress to complement your colour scheme and your dress code? Remember, your celebrant will be in all your ceremony photos.
Finding the celebrant that has your back is one of the most important tasks you will have so take your time in selecting the perfect person.